Monday 22 June 2015

Words for those who need them

I want to let you know how much it actually means to me that you actually read this blog. The fact that there are people on the internet, some of which I have never met in any form, who are interested in what I have to say means the world to me. Whether or not people leave comments is irrelevant. Just knowing that people take time out of their day to read this blog fills me with a sense of accomplishment. I'm telling you this so that I can make the follow statement with some meaning behind it:

I care about you, and your well-being.

I may not be in the same city, provence, country, or even continent as you right now. But know that someone, somewhere, cares about you. Take some amount of comfort, if you please, in the fact that you make my life better simply by being you. That's you as you are right now. Not the you from yesterday, or the you from next week. The you, right now, reading this, in whatever state of mind you currently are in.

Now, I know that there are different kinds of depression, big and small. Some of you have been diagnosed and are taking medication. Some of you may be struggling with the decision of whether or not to get that check-up. Some of you may not even be aware of the fact that the depression is there. And still some others may be totally content with the state they're in right now. What's important to know is that regardless of what state you're in, it's alright. You are who you are right at this moment, chemically balanced or not. People around you choose to be there because of the who you are now.

For those of you who are skeptical, thinking "What does he know? Having depression is hard, and he couldn't possibly understand what I go through ever day," know that I do realize what it's like. I have been where you are, and I know how much of a struggle it can be to simply get out of bed. I want you to know that it does get better. It doesn't happen instantly, or in a day, or a week. It happens at your own pace, a little bit at a time, and with help from others. If you want advice, ask someone for it. If you want to vent, ask someone to just listen. If you just want to sit in a room and not talk to anyone, ask someone to sit in silence with you. If you don't know who to ask, ask me. I'll sit silently in front of my computer on Skype if that's what you need. You will find out who your lifelong friends are by finding out who will help you when you ask.

I realize that I don't know a lot, that I don't have a medical degree or a firm understanding of what depression actually does to each individual person. All I can offer is to tell you I care about you, and I want to do whatever I can to help you feel even a little bit better. I also have some tips and tricks that may help you get one step higher on the ladder climb out. They helped me when I needed it.

-Stay away from processed foods. The chemicals and preservatives don't help you when your body is already out of whack chemically,
-Cut down on carbohydrates, especially empty carbs. They convert into chemicals that, while good for sustenance, are oddly bad for mental health. Switching to a more protein based diet from my carb based one made me feel immensely better.
-Open the blinds (And a window, weather permitting). You don't have to go outside, but getting light and fresh air into your environment can help.
-Eat spicy food or drink chai tea (And anyone who reads this blog know that I mean REAL chai tea [There is a dramatic difference]). The chemicals in both help to balance your own levels.
-Talk to someone, even if it's just yourself. Using your voice can help lift your spirits. Being alone in silence keeps you bottled up and unable to let go of thoughts.
-Try to do something you enjoy every day. Even if it's just one small thing, and you do it once a day, it can help. If you can, find that thing that makes you smile.
-Overcome the negative stigma behind seeing a doctor. Their job is to help you, be it through an exercise routine, a diet change, medication, social changes, or any number of other possible solutions. 

One last thing. Somehow, our society has conditioned us to believe that those with depression are weak, broken, damaged, or lesser people. Don't believe this for even a moment. Those who suffer from depression and anxiety do exactly that. They suffer. Don't judge others because of a condition they have, embrace them for the strength they possess.

I can't promise you that these things will help you. I can tell you that these things helped me over time. If nothing else, remember that I think you're awesome. There is, at the very least, one person in the world who cares about how you are doing.

Toodles!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. As someone who has and still is struggling with depression, it's nice to hear that someone gets it. As I get to know you more and more, I'm beginning to believe you when you say you really do care. I've always had a hard time believing people when they say they care about me as a person. Yet on the flip side, I care so much about every person I've ever met. I consider myself a giver and with that, sometimes I forget how to take. Thank you for caring and being a great friend and human being. Keep writing and I'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete